Jan 10, 2011

Etching away the name!


This is the first moment in my life, I really felt ashamed!
It was 2005 I believe, every one in my hostel was sad, I came to hear the new. My friends father passed away!, I can't believe, tears in my eyes! And on all others!

We decided to bunk the class and booked a travel van. I can't remember the number of friends we went.
It was a long journey, we started in the evening, now its night, still on the way, our estimated arrival time was 7am next day.

Its now 30 min to midnight, suddenly we  struck in heavy traffic in a NH- National Highway.  Everyone wondering, we can see Police on the road.
After few minutes we realised, it was a Police check post, I thought, good, our Police are looking for some criminal, to stop crimes. But, I came to realise the criminals are looking for the Police! Can't understand wright?, you will shortly.

After another few minutes our travel van stopped and a Police man came towards us
Police: " who are u people"
Driver : "College students"
Police: " where are u people going this night?"
Driver: "condolence "
Police: " come down and meet our officer"

Our driver switched off the engine and walked towards the officer who is sitting a few meters away in a comfortable chair. After few minutes our driver came towards us and asked "please give me Rs.100", I asked y? He said I will explain you, first please give me the money. We gave the money and he disappeared behind the lorry that is waiting in the other side of the road.

On seeing this I understood the drama that is happening there. A police constable stopped the lorry  that is moving towards him slowly. The police man raised his hand towards the lorry driver and the driver dropped some money to the police man, keeping his hand closed!
I thought, Oh My God!, what the hell!, this is atrocious. The next lorry comes and the same scene happened again and again and again.
I heard these incidents before but for the first time I am seeing this s*** live in front of my eyes.  I felt very badly, very badly, I didn't sleep at all the whole night.

I wanted to write this, but only now I did. Its been years but still I remember the police man and the scene, like rose in Titanic, but the kind of feel is different.
At that moment I felt 2 things
1. Get down and slap that police man, but that is not possible.
2. Take a picture and publish in newspaper, internet and everywhere, but I had no camera, moreover mobile phone banned in our hostel, pity!

The very sad thing is, Police never checks what's in the lorry, anything might be there. Tell me why the criminals should be afraid of Police?? 50 Rupees should be enough to what whatever crime you want, a bit more money for bigger crime, shame right??

Yes, but this is what happening in India. This post won't change everything but, it will prick someone, they will realise, if not after this, but one day for sure.

Ok.. coming back to our situation.. driver came back and we asked what happened.
He explained the officer demanded Rs 100 and he explained where we are going and how critical its now!, but the officers never realised the situation, he just need money. I thought even if the officer sees a dead body, he will demand for money from the dead body.

If I keep typing.. I will spill out my anger even more.. Its enough now. Only one thing I wanted to say “Please don't not Spoil the whole Police department name, Please don't be money pigs, please don't behave like heartless creates”.

I would definitely say there is also very good, very strict and sincere police officers, but some worthless police men puts s*** on the entire team.

Finishing here
Calvin

No comments: